Wednesday 9 November 2011

Welcome to the blog!

So, here we go with the first post on my brand new blog!  Hi, I'm Megan, I'm a 19 year old medical student from North Queensland, Australia, and I love to sew!  I made my first non-home-ec item of clothing just before Christmas of 2010, and I've slowly been making things throughout the semester at uni and in the uni holidays.  However, my thoughts and ideas have been stewing away for the last 13 weeks, and so I have a nice big queue of things that I really want to make.

This blog is probably going to be one where I have a glut of posts over the next 3 months or so while I'm on uni holidays, and then may be a bit sparse during the semester.

I don't really have many ideas for where I want this blog to go, but if anybody has any suggestions I'm more than happy to take them into account!  So far, I've decided that I'm going to do weekly 'what I wore' posts (mostly for my own benefit) with the details of the outfits tucked away underneath a Read More (if I can make Blogger do that! I know how much of a pain it is to scroll through endless outfit analysis if you don't really care) and as a personal challenge, I'm going to start doing Made Me Mondays - I will try to wear something that I have made myself every Monday (including clothing, jewellery and pyjamas).  This is my nod to the months like Made Me March and Self Sewn September, which I would love to participate in, but at this stage I don't have enough of a self-made wardrobe to do an entire month!  So I'm starting small for now, and I'd love to participate in one of the months in the future.

With my weekly 'what I wore' posts, I have a couple of goals in mind:
(1) Identify which items in my wardrobe I wear the most often, and find any gaps, and what I need more of - to help me with this, I'm considering doing a roundup of what got worn how many times at the end of the month.
(2) Find new combinations of the clothes that I already have - I tend to get stuck in a rut, always wearing the same combinations, and I'm kind of scared to mix it up too much!
(3) Become more confident in front of a camera, and develop my photography skills - I'm starting very small, with the self timer on my point-and-shoot camera in my bedroom, but I'm giong to see if my sister will teach me how to use her DSLR camera

Over the next few weeks, I have a number of new garments planned (at the start of my holidays!   Yay!), and I'll be posting the ones that I have already made once I can photograph them properly - because webcam photos are all very well for showing to get a general idea, but they're not particularly brilliant!

Anyway, I hope that any readers of my blog will enjoy seeing the things that I have made and reading my thoughts, and if you have any suggestions, comments, or constructive criticisms feel free to leave them in the comments or to email me at megandthemachine@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Welcome! I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete