Sunday, 29 January 2012

Clothing labels

When I was messing around on Pinterest, I found this tutorial for making your own labels to go inside your handmade clothes.  And I would really like to give it a go!

My only problem is, I'm not very good at making decisions, so I'm turning to my readers for some input - which one of the following do you prefer?  They would be printed onto iron on t-shirt transfer paper, and attached to grosgrain ribbon, probably white or cream.

I think at this stage, I prefer the first loveheart, although the bird and the moustache are also serious contenders!  Unless I make up 3 sets...

I'll end this self-indulgent post with some news - I have finished my strawberry dress, and I'll be showcasing it on my blog during Debi's second Sew Grateful week, the 6th to 12th of February.  All that I need to do now is wait for a non-rainy day (at this time of the year, a Nice Day is a bit too much to ask for - even if there is no rain, there'll still be very high humidity) so that my sister can help me take some photos!

Sunday, 1 January 2012

Fabric rolls and sewing plans

 Look at my happy fabric, all rolled, labelled, and tied with a bow!
My copy of the Collette Patterns Sewing Handbook came yesterday, and this was one of the tips she included in it.  This fabric was previously sitting in a bag, folded and flat, and slipping everywhere while unfolding itself.  Now it's all bundled up, sits still, and I know how much I have of the fabric!
Plus, it's super pretty with the gold bows with notched ends!

The strawberry printed cotton in the left of this photo is destined to be view A with short sleeves of this StylePrint dress pattern that I won in a giveaway from Debi.  I've also got a beltmaking kit on the way from A Fashionable Stitch, so I'm going to do bright red buttons and a red belt to go with this dress.
I haven't quite worked out what I'm going to do with the daisy printed fabric yet - it's cream, with blue, pink, and yellow flowers on it.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  My last thoughts were a pajama set with mid-thigh length shorts and a top with a shirred back - one of the techniques I've been wanting to try out.  But I already have too many pjs, so maybe not.  So this may be one that sits there for a little while and waits for inspiration to strike, unless you have any suggestions?  I have 3m of it, so there's a fair bit there!

These two beautiful satins are for my choir dress.  The peacock coloured one didn't photograph very well, it is actually a whole lot more green than this.  In any case, the rolling was DEFINITELY a good idea for these two, the main culprits of the slipping and sliding around!
I'm hoping to get this stitched up by the end of January (which may or may not end up happening!), and I'll be cutting it out as soon as I get back from my trip.  I'm excited to start on the good version of this dress, I really hope it turns out!

In any case, that's what I have planned for the next little while.  Before I go back to uni, I also want to try out a shorts pattern and try sewing with jersey/knits - two things that I have never done before.  I have the patterns already, but I'm not going to buy the material until AFTER my current projects are finished, otherwise none of them will get done!