Monday 21 May 2012

A challenge - 11 things

Kat over at Petticoats & Peplums tagged me in this ages ago, and I'm finally posting it!
The rules:  

1. Post these rules.
2. You must post 11 random things about yourself.
3. Answer the questions set for you in their post.
4. Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer.
5. Go to their blog and tell them you've tagged them.
6. No stuff in the tagging section about you are tagged if you are reading this. You legitimately have to tag 11 people

Random facts:
1. When I tried to copy and paste the instructions, this appeared instead - apparently I'm much better at ctrl + v than I am at ctrl + c!  I was writing about antimicrobial treatment for tuberculosis about an hour ago and these are some of my notes.

Rifampicin: resistance can occur.  Other unwanted effects are relatively infrequent – skin eruptions, fever, GI disturbances.  Liver damage with jaundice has been reported and has proved fatal in a very small proportion of patients.  Induction of hepatic metabolising enzymes, resulting in an increase in the degradation of Warfarin, glucocorticoids, narcotic analgesics, oral antidiabetic drugs, dapsone and oestrogens (failure of oral contraceptives)

2. I am very easily distracted from things, so I allow myself one distraction while I'm trying to work - most of the time it's music playing - so that I can avoid the 'unplanned' distractions

3. I have a lot of contradictory habits - for example, I hate ironing and yet about 60% of my favourite clothes need ironing after washing, I love the feeling of new sheets but really dislike making my bed, I own a lot of jewellery but hardly ever wear any, and so on!

4. I never feel like I have enough time to do everything - even if I have a day with nothing planned, I'll get to the end and feel like I haven't accomplished everything I wanted to, which is a bizarre feeling.

5. I am a bit of an introvert, and I really liked this video that one of my favourite vloggers posted - I think we're very similar in that we don't dislike being with people, but we're not very good at formulating thoughts on the spot and knowing what to say to strangers, and that sometimes we just need to have time alone.

6. I am a Nerdfighter - not fighting against nerds, fighting for nerds.  Visit the Vlogbrothers YouTube channel for a better explanation (also the How to be a Nerdfighter: Vlogbrothers FAQ video)!  Basically we're an online community who all believe in decreasing world-suck and increasing awesome, by doing fun and useful things!

7. I love Monty Python, The Goodies, The Good Life, Black Books, Blackadder - a whole bunch of British comedy that my dad introduced me to.

8. I'm a big believer in supporting independent musicians, but I'm actively trying not to be that person who says "they're pretty underground, you've probably never heard of them".

9. I'm very bad at prioritising what needs to stay and what needs to go when I am cleaning up my room - as a consequence my room is full of stuff and I have no room to put anything new, yet I can't bring myself to get rid of any of the old stuff.

10.  I have a lot of projects that are sort of half-imagined or partly completed or nearly done at the moment - so far on my list of things to finish off are my Megara costume (that I was making for a costume party that I was sick for, so I didn't end up hemming and attaching a sash) and my choir dress (it's so frustrating to have everything ready to go, only waiting on the actual sewing bit and yet not have time!), and I have grand plans for a mini-wardrobe and learning how to knit a jumper, so watch this space!

11.  I really dislike swimming in water that I can't see the bottom of - I don't mind deep water as long as I can see the bottom, but even if the water is only waist deep but I can't see my feet I get really uncomfortable.


Questions from Kat
1 - Who is your hero? I have a few people that I really admire, but my top two at the moment are my high school biology teacher, for being the best teacher I have ever had and for being so enthusiastic about what she was teaching that we couldn't help but love biology; and Dr Catherine Hamlin, who started up a fistula hospital in Ethiopia and has been part of the huge advances in womens' health in developing countries.  You can read more about Dr Hamlin here.

2 - Favourite holiday destination? I love going to the Atherton Tablelands, about 4 hours north of where I live - it's absolutely beautiful country up there, and a combination of farming areas and rainforest.  Another favourite is Bingil Bay (just outside of Mission Beach, which is also about 3-4 hours north of me), where we would always spend the Queen's Birthday long weekend with our family friends... I miss those holidays!

3 - Favourite family holiday tradition? The Bingil Bay holidays that we used to have - us kids formed a 'club' (which was obviously not very exclusive because we were in it) called DAMEC - because we were David, Angela, Megan, Emma and Caroline.  It was the one time when we could run around all day, take a lunch out in a basket, hide from the adults, and have what we saw as complete independence.  We invented so many silly games, and made so many wonderful memories :)

4 - Worst habit? Biting my nails - I'm really trying to stop, and I keep getting to about a month and then slipping up!

5 - Favourite colour? I love purple, though darkish reds and navy blue are quickly approaching for favourite colour status

6 - Have you ever broken a bone? No, I haven't!  The worst injuries I've ever had were from iceskating, when I banged the back of my head one day and may have had a very minor concussion, and another time when I fell over and ended up with a giant swollen bruise that was bigger than a chicken's egg on the inside surface of my knee.  I found it fascinating to watch it change colours and slowly decrease in size, much to the disgust of my friends!

7 - Tea or coffee? Tea - I've never really gotten to like the taste of coffee

8 - Favourite sport?  I've never really gotten into any sport, though I'd have to probably say figure skating for favourite to watch and basketball for favourite to particpate in/play

9 - Skill you would most like to learn?  I'd love to be able to speak another language, French springs to mind but that may just be because I did French in school, and I want to learn how to knit something other than scarves, which is my project for this holidays.

10 - Song of the moment? Of the moment right now?  You're Not There, by Eddplant.  I can never pick a favourite song, because it changes all the time, but the song of the moment idea is great for indecisive people like me!

11 - Favourite movie? I have quite a few - I love the Harry Potter series, the Pirates of the Caribbean series, Elizabethtown, Hairspray, and many others.  I'm not very good at remembering my very favourites, it would probably be more accurate to ask "do you like ____?" then I'd be able to tell you one way or the other.

My tagees:


Questions for my tagees:
  1. Favourite 'guilty pleasure' TV show (the one that's so terrible that you can't stop watching it)?
  2. Automatic or manual car?
  3. Ereader or hard copy books?
  4. Cake or icecream (or both!)?
  5. Favourite YouTube video?
  6. When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up?
  7. If you could only listen to one album for an entire month, what would it be?
  8. What is your favourite smell?
  9. What is your favourite movie genre?
  10. Who was your first celebrity crush?
  11. Can you roll your tongue?

3 comments:

  1. Hullo Sweet Pea, thank you for tagging me! I'll try and get around to following up, but hope you don't mind if I get too busy! So hectic for me at the moment... you'd think with wintertime things would be calmer... but no! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urgh Megan come BACK I am missing your posts! <3

    ReplyDelete